Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Common Cold & Flu


 Everyone has had it... everyone hates it.  I have the kind of immune system (and so do my children) that if I ever use an antibiotic, I end up getting another sickness just days after I finish it.  Antibiotics kill ALL bacteria, good and bad, so your body is very vulnerable after you are done with it.  The vicious cycle never ends, unless I find a cure to the problem.  There were times where my son and I were sick for months (yes, months!) straight!  And everything we would get usually started with a common cold.  Here are the methods that I find work best...
  • Vitamin C - 3000-5000 mg per day (literally load up on it!).
  • Tincture of Echinacea - as directed on bottle, 3-4 times per day (I put it in fresh squeezed OJ, to get more Vitamin C).
  •  Raw Garlic - At least 2-3 raw cloves per day, 4-5 cloves a day if possible. Chop a clove into 5 or 6 pieces and then swallow the pieces whole like pills.  Raw garlic acts as a broad-spectrum antibiotic, without the added antibiotic side effects of the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, or the development of yeast infections or thrush. The antimicrobial property in garlic, allicin, is very sensitive to heat and is destroyed when cooked. In order for it to work, it needs to be raw. Swallowing the cloves with orange juice helps with the taste for me. Allicin is also what gives garlic its pungent odor, so the deodorized garlic capsules that some companies offer are essentially useless, if they are being taken for the antimicrobial properties. However, deodorized garlic is still beneficial for its blood pressure reducing properties and for stimulating the immune system. 
  • Xlear - a nasal spray that is a combination of xylitol and saline nasal spray that has shown to be effective in soothing and moisturizing the sinuses and nasal passages (I swear by this stuff for my whole family).  It's usually found on any grocery store's pharmacy counter, or drug section.
  •  Probiotics - found at any health foods store.  Probiotics are live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host.  They basically add good bacteria to your body, to help fight off your illness.  I like Udo's Choice and Nature's Way brands.  They need to be kept cooled, so I would only buy if they have been kept in a refrigerated section.


  •    Drink lot's and lot's of water!

I have found the most important part of stopping a cold before it starts (or at least before it gets too bad), is so it does not develop into anything more severe.  Like: a sinus infection, bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throat, etc.  I have cured a sinus infection with these methods, but would seek medical attention for any of the others.  If you need to take an antibiotic, these methods still work wonders in building your immune system back up.  I would start when your antibiotic cycle is almost through.  Best of luck!      

No comments:

Post a Comment