Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Green Smoothie


I wanted to share my recipe to the 'green smoothie' we drink.  I think drinking smoothies everyday, or as much as possible, can have a major health benefit.

  • Golden Flax Seeds: 1-2 T (I buy at whole foods and grind right before consumption).
  • Spinach/Kale (or any leafy green): 1 good sized handful or about 1 cup
  • Fresh Fruit: 1/2 banana, 2-3 strawberries, 1/2 an orange (you can honestly use any fruit you would like.  I change it up on a daily basis, but this recipe is my fall back).
  •   Pomegranate Juice: 1/2 cup (cranberry juice is also good).
  • Ice: 1/2 cup
  • Vitamins: Multi-vitamin powder.  I don't always add vitamins to mine, but it is a good way to take them.

It will look green, or even brownish/green.  Don't let the look of it turn you away, as it tastes quite delicious (your body will start craving them and all of their sweet healthiness).  Starting your day out with a smoothie can be a great boost in your energy and it's a great way to cleanse your system.  When I start my days out with a green smoothie, I have a healthier mindset and don't want/need to indulge in unhealthy snacking.  It simply starts your digestive track on the right foot.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try this. The look of these things has always kind of turned me off but I can tell I am def lacking the essentials. Do you give this to the kids as well? Some days I feel that veggies are foreign to Jamesons diet. I know I just need to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look horrible, but they are actually really good. It took forever for my mom to get me to try them, but once I did, I loved them. I do give them to the kids, and they actually both really like them. Devarian is starting to get picky with the look, (that they're green) so I just put it in a straw cup that isn't clear (I think I got them from Dollar Tree) and that way he isn't focusing so much on the color, rather than the taste. Vaeh has loved them ever since she could suck out of a straw. I have been slacking this summer with giving them a smoothie everyday, but I am determined to get that going again. I would start with giving him an all fruit smoothie and slowly introduce greens (that's what I did with D, since he was older when I started). That way he won't turn them away from the start. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete